Q: Cost of a leaky engine valve

How much should it cost to repair a leaking valve, and is a leaky valve a sign of a larger problem? This is for a car I'm thinking of buying. Following a pre purchase inspection, the auto shop estimated the repair at $300. Is this accurate?

Hello. If the estimate to repair a leaking valve is $300 then that is much too low. It is common for this engine to have valve problems but it can cost between $2000-3000 to fix correctly. This requires that the entire top of the engine be disassembled and rebuilt.

If you want another opinion, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide a pre-purchase inspection on any vehicle you might be interested in purchasing.

3. Cost of a leaky engine valve