Q: Cooling fan is loud.

My cooling fan started sounding loud about 2 weeks ago. Also i noticed that the fan turns on as soon as i turn on my truck. Thats it thats all it is doing for now. Loud like if it was on high and turns on as soon as i turn the vehicle on. What can it be?

Hi there:

It’s possible that you’re cooling fan motor has an electrical short or is causing the fan to stay on at all times. It’s also possible that the fan itself is bent, which can create a harmonic sound as it operates. If you can manually spin the fan and notice that it "wobbles" as it spins, then it might simply be the fan that needs to be replaced. In many cases though, it’s the cooling fan motor relay that is faulty that causes it to be active at all times.