Q: Code PO106

What is the code PO106 for my 2000 Mazda protege? And how can I fix it? How much should it cost?

Hi there:

The P-0106 OBD-II code is a general code for a problem with the MAP circuit having problem of incorrect voltage output range or an issue with engine performance. The MAP sensor is an integral part of the fuel injection system and provides signals to the Engine Control Unit (ECU) for smooth operation and good fuel economy along with proper performance and power. The vehicle in most cases will not run well, idle poorly, accelerate erratically, run rich, and backfire because the MAP sensor and throttle position sensor will not operate together properly. To diagnose this code, a qualified technician will reset the OBD- II fault codes and perform a road test of the vehicle to see if the code comes back. They can observe this by watching live data streaming on the scanner while driving. If the code comes back, then the mechanic will need to do a close inspection to see if the vacuum line and other hoses on the intake system are missing, loose, damaged, or disconnected.