Q: Clutch sticking and gears won't go in

This morning the car started as normal and was fine. 5 minutes down the road the clutch began sticking to the floor and I couldn't get the car into gear, it slipped into 4th so I pulled into a side street and stopped-the car cut out then because it wouldn't come out of gear and I was stopping in 4th. I left it for a few minutes, restarted and the gears felt looser then. Clutch stuck to the floor once or twice but then it went fine and I was able to use as normal. Car feels a bit slower and sluggish. My dad used the car yesterday and said the same thing happened while he was doing a 3 point turn-the gears jammed and he couldn't move. Then it suddenly worked again and no problems.

I need the car a lot for work and as I have to travel through the Mersey tunnels daily I'm worried it's going to happen there and I'll freak out. Should I put the car in garage straight away? It seems it's only happening the first 5-10mins of using the car but is this likely to increase?

thanks Karen

You should check the hydraulic clutch master cylinder to see if it is low on fluid indicating a leak in the system and will need to locate the leak and repair as needed. If the fluid is mostly full and no leaks are in the system then the clutch master cylinder is leaking internally and will not actuate the clutch slave cylinder. The master cylinder needs to be replaced and clutch bled out of air in the system.

3. Clutch sticking and gears won't go in