Q: Clunking noise while turning slowly

I had a problem with clunking while I was turning at low speed a couple years ago. At the time, I got the intermediate steering shaft and assembly replaced. The problem has started again. The dealership says the noise and clunking are being caused by a bad rack-and-pinion this time. It might cost $1600 to get this fixed. Would a problem with the rack-and-pinion definitely cause clunking?

A: This sounds correct, the problem lies withi...

This sounds correct, the problem lies within the rack and pinion assembly and is the most common problem for what you've described. This noise may be a problem that will get worse as the vehicle ages and may get to a point of causing the steering to bind. If you want a second opinion on this, I'd recommend having a certified mechanic diagnose the sound firsthand to accurately find what the problem is.