Q: Clicking sound upon startup

The car is making a clicking sound when I start it up. The clicking sound increases with the RPMs.

A: Hi there. I have come across this many time...

Hi there. I have come across this many times on this engine. If the clicking noise comes up when the vehicle is first started, then check the engine oil first and replace it if it is old. I have also seen cheap oil filters cause this, so I would always use a Motorcraft oil filter on this engine. If that does not resolve anything, then the cam timing actuators need to be checked as it is common for these to fail. If these need to be replaced, then the front of the engine will need to be disassembled. I would get come assistance from a certified mechanic to inspect the clicking sound.