Q: Clicking and rattling noise

My car makes a clicking rattling noise every time I accelerate. Can you help? It sound like its coming from where the pulleys are.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. The noises you are hearing very well may be coming from the belt and pulleys. If the belt is slipping off of the pulleys and slapping into something while it turning, it would produce a sound. The belts typically only do this when the tensioner has failed to hold it in position. You may want to start by checking the slack on the belts when the vehicle is off. You should not be able to move the belt laterally. If these is extra play the belt and tensioner pulley need to be inspected further. Replacing the belt tends to be easy, but replacing the pulley takes a little more effort. Start by checking the serpentine belts for extra slack, and take it from there.

3. Clicking and rattling noise