Q: Check engine light on 1998 Audi A4

1998 Audi A4 with the check engine light. I tried pulling codes of my OBD scanner and I've got a linking error. I've got to Pep Boys to get it scanned and got the same result. Should I take it to the dealership?

Any good mechanic can check them out. Here’s the problem that you’ve got though--when there’s a linking error, either the nanoport isn’t working right because one of the pins is bent or there’s wiring short somewhere in the computer system between the data link connector there and the sensors and the computer.

You could also have a bad sensor somewhere or the computer itself is bad, because with any short in that system, you’re going to get a linking error. You want to pray that is not a bad computer on Audi, because they cost a fortune. But, any good mechanic that works on Audi can check them out and I would stay away from the dealers if I were you since they can be very costly. A technician from YourMechanic can go to your home or office and inspect your Check Engine Light for you. From there, they can make any repairs that are necessary.