Q: Check Engine Light is on with trouble code P0014.

asked by on October 17, 2016

Check engine lights has been on for a while. Today I notice small amount of smoke. So I check the check engine and it said p0014. My temperature gauge is below the middle and there is smoke. Read online. Should I just get oil change or is this a problem

Hello, this over-advanced camshaft timing is a significant problem, and should be checked out ASAP by a professional mechanic. Trouble code P0014 indicates a problem probably due to worn timing chain guides, a stretched timing chain, or a weak timing chain tensioner. This can cause a valve-to-piston collision in your engine if severe enough, causing major, expensive engine repair. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having a Check Engine Light inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to confirm this diagnosis, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.