Q: Charging and starting - 2008 Chrysler Sebring

asked by on November 13, 2016

A couple months ago my battery charge light came on so we replaced the battery. Even with the new battery the battery light is still on. Last week I went to the store and came out and the car wouldn't start. We then replaced the alternator but was still having charging issues. A few days ago we took the battery back and had it replaced with a new one and the car started and ran OK but then my air bag light came on and my heat and air would not work at all. Now we are having the problem with it not starting again. It also had a code of 0622 and 0301. What could the problem be?

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1396.98 Get a Quote
Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Code P0622 relates to the alternator not working properly. This code can sometimes come up when the battery is weak. I would recommend testing the battery first and if it checks out OK, then the problem is likely the alternator. Code P0301 relates to a misfire in cylinder #1, which may be related to the no starting issue. Engine misfires can be caused by a list of problems, but there are a few suspects that occur more than others. Generally, misfires are caused by either a spark or fuel issue or in cases, a combination of both. Spark related problems generally will result from things like ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition modules not working properly. When the misfire results from a fuel related issue, this is commonly related to a lean fuel condition (lack of sufficient fuel supply to the motor). Fuel related misfires can be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty O2 sensor, a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or a vacuum or intake leak. When the fuel supplied to the combustion chamber is insufficient, this results in an ignition (spark) that is igniting a less than balanced load of fuel and air. This results in a misfire or an explosion in the cylinder that is much less powerful than the other cylinders. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.