Q: Changed oil pump, still no pressure

I changed the oil pump without removing oil pan, changed the o-ring, blew through the pickup tube to insure no clog, still tapping and no oil pressure. could the problem be in the oil cooler lines? please, any advice will help.

A: Hello. At this point, it would be wise to h...

Hello. At this point, it would be wise to hook up a mechanical gauge at the oil switch port and see if you are truly experiencing a low oil pressure issue or if there is something else going on.

A general rule is that you should have 10 psi for every 1,000 RPMs. This is the best way to figure out if you need to pay attention to low pressure or a sensor and electrical issue.

Sludge build-up can clog even a new pump. If this is the problem, you will want to do a deeper cleaning. As far as the oil cooler lines are concerned, any clog in the system would cause low pressure issues. You could be looking at a rod and bearing repair, but that is assuming the pump is working and the rest of the system is in perfect condition. If you need help with a diagnostic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the oil pressure issue and follow through with repairs.