Q: Changed gas cap........engine light still on. What else can I do?

Car tested for engine light on.....said gas cap.....I changed the gas cap.....Engine light is still on. This happens a lot. I have to go for inspection this month.....this grandma is desperate to get this light to go off or I will fail inspection......can't afford a mechanic.

There is no code for a gas cap on this vehicle. There is codes for leaks in the emission control fuel tank system. In order to find the reason of the code returning the vehicle emission vapor system needs to be smoke tested to see what is not holding the vapor in. The fuel tank or hoses and the purge valve may be leaking. Only a test will isolate the leak so it can be repaired.

3. Changed gas cap........engine light still on. What else can I do?