Q: Car wont turn over. New battery and ignition coils.

asked by on July 27, 2017

Car will start but wont turn over. There is a new battery and ignition coils. I was told it was a blown head gasket but there isnt any obvious smoke or any other textbook symptoms.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Be sure the battery is actually fully charged (even a new battery can be discharged). If the starter motor is not even cranking the engine, among the first possibilities is a weak battery, excessive voltage drop in the starter circuit due to poor electrical connections, or a dead starter/solenoid. With a battery in good condition and the immobilizer (security) system off, if the starter motor does not operate at that point, there are only two possibilities: 1) either there is no power to the starter motor/solenoid, or an excessive voltage drop, hence the entire starter circuit would have to be diagnosed; or 2) there is power but the starter/solenoid itself is bad and that includes intermittent operation which does happen. If you desire that a specialist from YourMechanic determine which of these is the issue, and get it resolved, please request a no start diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr