Q: Car won't start

Hi, I got a '79 Camaro, and the car was running fine however it was later left in a garage for years and now it's not starting up. We tried jump starting the battery however it did not work. What is the reason for this? Should I get a new battery?

A friend of mine also said that the gas in the fuel lines may have clogged up preventing the car from starting - is this something that I can clean?

Also, what other potential causes can there be for the car not starting?

Thank you

Hello. It sounds like the engine is not even cranking over. If this is the case then it may need a new battery. I would have the battery load tested and if it is fine then it should be able to crank the engine over. If the battery is fine and it still does not start then it may be a starter problem or even a seized engine from sitting. This is common as corrosion can build up inside. If you need to have this fixed, have a technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to diagnose the starting problem and replace the battery if needed.

3. Car won't start