Q: Car won't shift from Park

asked by on February 13, 2016

My car cranks fine, but it won't shift from Park. A towing service stuck a pen in the gear console and got it out of Park. Once it was in Drive, it would shift back and forth from Reverse, Neutral and Drive, but once it is put back in Park, it's stuck again.

Hi. Many automatic vehicles are equipped with a park lock that prevents movement of the shifter if the brake pedal is not applied. This lock can experience a failure on its own, or the lock may not release because of a fault in the brake pedal switch. The circuit must see activation of the brake pedal switch before releasing the lock as a safety measure. Both must be in working order. Have an experienced technician inspect for bad electrical components and inspect the shifting issue you are experiencing.