Car will not start. Even with a jump start. Lights on das...

Q: Car will not start. Even with a jump start. Lights on dash come on but as soon as i turn it over it doesn't do anything. No noise

asked by on August 22, 2017

Car will not start, even when i try to jump start it. Lights on dash come on but once i try and turn i over nothing happens. It doesnt make any noise when i try to turn it over, just wont start. I took it to O'Reilly and the guy said it's fully charged but that it reads it is at its quarter life. I don't understand that. Then i took it to auto zone and the guy said it was fully charged and didnt mention anything like the other guy mentioned before. Please help. Thank you.

Hi Joseph. Thanks for writing in tonight. If you turn the key forward and you don’t hear the starter engage or anything, then it’s likely that you have a damaged electrical relay, which supplies power to the starter from the battery. It’s also possible that the battery does not have enough cranking amps (which is what that first auto parts store guy was probably indicating). Cranking amps are different than a battery charge - so if the battery does not have enough AMPS, it needs to be replaced. It’s probably best to have a professional mechanic (the guys at auto parts are not professional mechanics), come to your location to complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can determine for certain what is causing your problem, so the right repairs can be completed.