Q: Car will not shift gears, stuck in neutral.

I was going to park my car when I got home but when I went to switch the gear to park the car seemed to stay in Neutral, even though the gear knob was on P for park. I had to keep my foot on the break and realized that even thought the gear knob moved up and down freely from the top to bottom the car still had the N for neutral on the dashboard. The car turns on and off fine so I'm really not sure what is going on. It won't accelerate nor will it reverse (with reverse pedal) or park either. The only way I could park it was with the Emergency brake. Please help!!

A: Hello - your symptoms suggest a failure or ...

Hello - your symptoms suggest a failure or disconnect of the shifter linkage to the transmission (whether cable or mechanical linkage). Most likely, this is external to the transmission, and can be repaired without having to get inside the transmission. Since you don't have "Park", this becomes more of a safety issue - and quick repair is essential. I would recommend having the vehicles transmission linkage inspected as soon as possible. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs