Q: Car will not restart after running out of gas

My car ran out of gas - i added 3.5 gallons, but the car will still not restart - It cranks, but is not getting any gas - outside temp is about 5 degrees. I swapped the fuel pump relay with a like relay - no difference.. Any idea why I cannot restart my vehicle?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty fuel pump that may have been damaged as a result of running it out of fuel. As you may know, today’s fuel pumps require the fuel to keep them cool and lubricated. When the motor is run dry out of fuel, this can cause the fuel pump to heat up in excess of what it should potentially causing damage to the pump by overheating it. As a result, depending on the extent of the damage you may experience issues related to maintaining proper fuel pressure and fuel flow. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your fuel system.