Q: Car will go into gear, but doesn't move

The car starts fine. When I put it into gear it attempts to move forward, but doesn't move, almost like it is being held back. The same is true for reverse, with the car attempting to move backward, but the wheels/brakes seem as if they are stuck.

A: Hi. This can happen for a number of reasons...

Hi. This can happen for a number of reasons. It may be the transmission or it can be a braking system failure. If the vehicle will not move at all, even in neutral, then the brakes may be locked up. I would typically get the wheels off of the ground and see if I can spin the wheels by hand. If not then the brakes may be the issue. This can be from fluid contamination or a brake master cylinder failure. If only the front wheels will not move then it may be a transmission problem. I have seen the clutch housing in the transmission fail and lock up causing these same symptoms. The transmission would then need to be rebuilt. I would get some help from a certified mechanic that can diagnose your car not moving issue, like one from YourMechanic.