Q: Car was switched off but would not restart after boosting with cables

Recharged the battery the next day car still did not start, found the engine would not rotate but it would rotate counter clockwise and freed up and was able to be restarted and run fine. Two days later car stopped was told replace battery again same procedure rotate engine backwards to free engine and car restarted. No dash or check engine codes displayed by code reader. car runs smooth as the day it was purchased. any ideas or should it be safe to drive as it is now running.

Hello. First of all, rotating the engine counterclockwise could very well cause the engine to "jump time", and cause engine damage. The timing chain tensioner is not designed for this pressure, and can allow the timing chain to jump one or more cogs on the camshaft.

The fact that a counterclockwise rotation seems to free up "something" and allow the engine to start, suggests that the starter drive (the gear portion of the starter motor) is jamming with the flywheel teeth. The starter should be removed and the gear drive examined for possible replacement. It is also possible the flywheel is damaged and must be replaced as well. If you need help with a diagnostic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the starting problem and guide you through any needed repairs.

• Car was switched off but would not restart after boosting with cables