Q: Car was struck by lightning and won't start

asked by on August 08, 2017

My car was struck by lightning over night and won't turn on. The lights in dashboard work but the car just won't start, it worked for about 10 second the first time I tried to turn it on and then completely shut off.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Unfortunately, there is not a cut and dry answer for your problem. Lightning strikes are not created equal, nor is the damage they cause. You most likely have electrical issues, rather than something mechanically wrong. You want to start by checking your fuse box and scanning the vehicle’s computer. This will let you know if the main electronics have been majorly effected, before you start looking at individual systems for problems. With no damage to the ECM (Engine Control Module) or the fuse box, you want to look into the condition of the battery, fuel pump, and take further diagnostics from there. For more help from our technicians, contact our service department.