Q: Car uses quart of oil every 2 days

Soon after purchasing a pre-owned car, it started using oil and recently it’s using a quart of oil every 2 days. It hardly has any power now. I checked the compression in all 4 cylinders and 3 of the cylinders were somewhere around 185-190. The last one was only around 140. What is the problem and can you tell me how to fix it?

A: Hello. If you are losing oil that fast it i...

Hello. If you are losing oil that fast it is because you have worn out piston rings or valve stem seals. Adding a little oil to the cylinder during the compression test will help you narrow this down. If the compression changed a lot then it is the rings. If not then it is the valve stem seals. Most of the time it is the valve stem seals on this engine.

Either way the engine will need to be taken apart to repair this. I'd suggest to get some help from a qualified mechanic to diagnose your oil consumption. Once the issue has been pinpointed, an accurate repair can be made to address it.