Q: Car turns off after driving 20 miles

Last week my car started turning off, without warning, after I had been driving for around 20 minutes (or a bit longer). I took it to the auto repair shop and they told me that it’s a vacuum hose, so they replaced it. However, the problem didn't go away. So I returned to the shop and they said they checked the coil, fuel pump, & spark plugs. The battery and alternator are both new. They led me to believe that they checked everything. I had a friend who also looked at my car and he also had done all that he could do. We're sure it’s a major part - probably the transmission or engine, but no one can find anything. Now, they are saying to get a new computer in the car. I researched online and someone said to check the EGR valve. Do you agree that the problem might be the EGR valve and if not, what else can I do to find the solution?

A: Hello there, a few different parts can caus...

Hello there, a few different parts can cause the vehicle to stall out and die like you have described. The most likely are the fuel pumps, an intermittent wiring issue, a bad battery cable, a faulty EGR, vacuum leak or oxygen sensor going bad. A failing computer can also cause the engine to die like this. Given that it takes awhile of running to make the car die, this points to a part that is failing when it gets hot but that still can function until it gets warm. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and make the repairs that are needed to get you back on the road safely.