Q: Car turns off after driving 20 miles

Last week my car started turning off, without warning, after I had been driving for around 20 minutes (or a bit longer). I took it to the auto repair shop and they told me that it’s a vacuum hose, so they replaced it. However, the problem didn't go away. So I returned to the shop and they said they checked the coil, fuel pump, & spark plugs. The battery and alternator are both new. They led me to believe that they checked everything. I had a friend who also looked at my car and he also had done all that he could do. We're sure it’s a major part - probably the transmission or engine, but no one can find anything. Now, they are saying to get a new computer in the car. I researched online and someone said to check the EGR valve. Do you agree that the problem might be the EGR valve and if not, what else can I do to find the solution?

Hello there, a few different parts can cause the vehicle to stall out and die like you have described. The most likely are the fuel pumps, an intermittent wiring issue, a bad battery cable, a faulty EGR, vacuum leak or oxygen sensor going bad. A failing computer can also cause the engine to die like this. Given that it takes awhile of running to make the car die, this points to a part that is failing when it gets hot but that still can function until it gets warm. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and make the repairs that are needed to get you back on the road safely.

3. Car turns off after driving 20 miles