Q: Car stopped while I was driving and gear will only go in reverse

I'm having trouble with first gear. I noticed that after going in reverse and then into first gear, it did activate the first gear. However, it totally quit after that. No power - just gone! The dealership has tried several options, but they just can't seem to find the problem. Can you tell me what's wrong?

A: Hello. It sounds like the transmission valv...

Hello. It sounds like the transmission valve body has failed, or the torque converter has locked up. There could also be a problem with the clutches in the transmission.

If any of these possibilities are causing your problem, the transmission may have to be replaced or rebuilt. This will need to be done at a transmission shop.