Q: Car shuts off unexpectedly

asked by on August 18, 2016

When I start the car, it would shut off at random. This occurs completely unexpectedly both when I'm driving or when I'm stopped in traffic. Then, I have to put it in park so as to restart it. What might be the problem?

Engine stalling while driving is typically caused by a problem with the ignition system. Plus, the fact that you can restart the vehicle after cycling the ignition leads me to believe the problem is electrical. The first thing I would check is the crankshaft position sensor. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the crankshaft position sensor signal as a reference for controlling the ignition system. My guess is that the Check Engine Light is on. Retrieving the stored diagnostic trouble codes will help pinpoint the problem. I suggest you contact a professional for firsthand diagnosis of your stalling issue. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.