Q: Car says it's overheating even though it's not

The temperature needle on my car's dashboard keeps going into the red. The car is not getting hot or it is not on long enough to get hot.

Hello. Most of the time if the temperature gauge shoots up to the red it is a worrisome problem. If it goes right up to the red right when it is started, then it may be a failing coolant temperature sensor or a connection at the sensor. If it is cold when you first start it and begins climbing, but yet the radiator is not getting hot or it gets hot fast, then you may have a failing thermostat or even a possible failing head gasket. A block test can be done to verify this. The main thing is to know exactly how fast it overheats. I would enlist the help of a certified mechanic that can diagnose your temperature gauge issue, like one from YourMechanic.