Q: Car overheating; may be water pump

My car is overheating. It might need a thermostat and water pump.

Hello. A car overheating should be diagnosed and repaired sooner than later to avoid engine damage. A thermostat that is stuck closed can cause an overheating condition. To see if the thermostat is the cause, the vehicle must be run to operating temperature. The temperature of the radiator needs to be checked with an infrared thermometer to see if coolant is flowing through the radiator. If the radiator is cold, that is a good indicator the thermostat is stuck. If the whole cooling system is hot and the fan is running, there is a good possibility that there is a blown head gasket. You may need a mechanic to check the cooling since you are dealing with heat and a fan.

3. Car overheating; may be water pump