Q: Car overheated - 2004 Honda Civic

Honda 1.6 Car overheated then cut out and wouldn't start we took it to Honda and they couldn't sort it ther was no spark at plugs so changed coil packs and plugs and still no spark

Before we get into the ignition issue, please note that if the car engine SEVERELY overheated the head and/or block, then this could have warped thus creating the potential (or actual) head gasket leaks, exhaust manifold leaks, and so forth. Overheating a car engine will often destroy it and in a matter of minutes. Consequently, once you get the car running, make sure you do not have leaks from the exhaust manifold in particular. Also, be sure to monitor coolant (anti-freeze) level in case an internal or external coolant leak developed due to the overheating. Again, the issue is overheating permanently distorts the shape and position of metal engine parts. In a worst case scenario, overheating will gall, seize and melt internal parts.

No spark is simply an electrical problem. Beginning with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and in concert with a variety of engine sensors, power sources and wiring, the ignition system sends voltage to each plug at the right time. The heat could have damaged wiring or sensors. Check the ignition circuit from beginning to end in order to isolate the faulty ignition system component. If you need help having this diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the overheating problem firsthand to pinpoint the problem.