Q: Car not starting

Car ran fine over night with colder weather moving in. The next day, car would not start it. Cranks but no start, there is ticking noise under left dash fuse box. Battery checks fine, no codes, crank sensor replaced, and neutral safety switch cleaned. Car ran fine 2 days before

Hi, thanks for writing in. Make sure your battery tests 12.6 volts or higher. Next, test your alternator to ensure it is maintaining 13.8 - 14.2 volts. You may have to go to a local parts shop and use their alternator tester. If jump starting doesn’t work, listen closely when you turn the key. Are you only hearing a single click? If so, then it is probably your starter. A quick diagnostic trick for your starter is to use a metal object, like a small hammer, and knock on your starter as someone turns the key. Most of the time, this will start your vehicle. If you need any assistance, enlist in a qualified professional. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Car not starting