Q: Car lost power while driving

While I was driving, my car started to lose power, so I had to park it on the side of the road. I think I might need to replace the fuel filter. drain the fuel tank, and clean the fuel lines.

If your van just started losing power all of a sudden an died, then it may have been a fuel pump that failed. It can also be caused by one of the sensors failing or a number of other issues. A mechanic would typically start by checking fuel pressure and scanning the computer for codes. If there are codes then that could be a good indication of what happened. If not then the fuel pressure may be the problem. If there is no pressure then either the pump is bad or there is a circuit problem so power to the pump would also need to be checked. I would recommend having a certified mechanic diagnose your car’s loss of power and replace your fuel pump if necessary.

3. Car lost power while driving