Q: Car jolts on starting and sometimes is fine

Almost every time, but not all the time, when I start driving my car, there is a jolt forward, as if the engine were going or the transmission. Other times I drive and there are no problems at all. When the jolting happens, it feels almost like my car is trying to shut off. I’m thinking it might be the fuel. The filter and serpentine belt have both been replaced. It’s been 30,000 miles since I had a tune up, so I might need to get that done. What do you suggest I do to fix this?

The vehicle may have more than one problem and would need to be thoroughly checked in order to properly diagnose the problem. I would recommend having a certified mechanic test the system’s computer and perform a road test to see if the problem can be isolated to the engine or transmission.

You may just have broken motor mounts or transmission mounts, these could cause jerking when accelerating. It would not cause the engine to shut off, unless the wire harness, near the firewall, is damaged by the shifting engine.

I’d recommend getting some help from a certified mechanic, they will be able to properly diagnose your cars jolting symptoms firsthand and make the necessary repairs.