Q: Car is idling rough - 1983 Jeep CJ7

When I start the car and drive, it runs fine while I'm accelerating. At the moment when I apply the clutch and the brakes, it sounds as if it would stall. During idling, it doesn't stall out, but it's very rough. The issue is even worse If I brake hard. I went to the mechanic and he had the fuel pump and carburetor replaced with new parts and repaired the valves. The problem is still there, but the performance has been slightly improved. What else can I do to fix this?

A: Hello. This behavior sounds like the power ...

Hello. This behavior sounds like the power brake booster has a leak or rupture, which acts like an air leak to the engine. Since the brake booster vacuum is generated by the engine’s air intake, their functions and potential problems are interconnected. This could be causing the "near stall when braking" as you describe. I recommend having a professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the rough idling issue and replace the brake booster if necessary.