Q: Car ignition coil is malfunctioning

I have a Nissan Primera 2001 Wagon P11. It needs a new ignition coil. The engine light has come on and i've had the codes checked. The mechanic said he couldn't tell which coil it was causing the issue however one definitely was.

So basically what happens is it shudders/shakes a bit from time to time, I can usually go 500km (not continuous) before it shakes a bit only for 5 minutes or so. It only happens at slow speeds and usually not long after starting. It always rights itself.

My question is, what can i get for a good replacement for this to repair it, like brand, style, etc. Should the shape just match? is there other things to look out for when buying one. And is there anything wrong with buying from Ebay for it?

Any advice regarding this is most welcome.

Hello. I would recommend that you replace all of the coils at once. They age, and fail, at similar rates. Replace the plugs as well while you are replacing the coils, and look for oil leakage onto the plugs or coil boots from a leaking valve cover. As for replacing the coils - make sure you buy the brand/type that are in your engine - there are at least 2 types (Hanshin and Hitachi style). Nothing wrong with buying on eBay as long as you know what type you need to buy, and trust the seller. If you would like to have the parts sourced and installed for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to replace the coils properly.

Happy motoring!

3. Car ignition coil is malfunctioning