Q: Car idles rough and worse when holding brake

asked by on June 14, 2016

My car idles rough and it is worse when I have the car in Drive and I'm just holding the brake. When I start driving again it will wind out, however it will hardly accelerate. It seems like it’s almost slipping. At high RPMs, it will hold it and wait to shift. In manual shift, it will shift when I want it too, but it still has the accelerating problem. There is no misfiring. My mileage is 125,689. What is your advice on how to fix this problem?

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

A few components can cause the vibration in drive. The most common causes are bad engine mounts, low fuel pressure, or problems with the torque converter or transmission mounts. I recommend having a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your rough idling issue and determine what repairs are needed.