Q: Car "hesitates" when lifting off the throttle

I have a 2006 Honda Accord cl7 2.0 114 kw AT. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I’m driving with constant throttle position/speed and lift off the accelerator at fairly slow speeds (25-45 mp/h), the car jerks/bucks noticeably. Doesn’t happen when I accelerate or decelerate. It only seems to happen when the engine temperature has reached to almost normal operating temperature. No problem when cold and also no problem when accelerating and then lifting off the accelerator. I have also noticed that when coming to a almost complete stop, the car sometimes „bucks” or „cracks” into lower/lowest gear. I’ve been reading about similar problems on the web and the closest case I found that got a solution was calibrating the TPS (throttle position sensor). I’ve also got my IACV (idle air control valve) and throttle body cleaned plus the engine mounts checked. Could it be the TPS or can it really be faulty transmission? Can I unplug the TPS and test drive without harming the engine?

Hi Honda. Thanks for submitting your question today. Typically a jerking sensation you are describing is due to a fuel or air restriction in the fuel system, possible caused by a damaged or incredibly dirty mass air flow sensor, throttle body or fuel injectors. However, the first question I’d ask was - when was the last time the transmission fluid was changed and filter replaced? Overtime, the transmission fluid and filter debris can become stuck in the hydraulic lines of the transmission and cause similar symptoms. It’s also common for these symptoms to be more noticeable when the vehicle is at operating temperature. I think since so many possible sources exist, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection. This should allow them to diagnose and discover the root cause of your problem, so the right repairs will be made.

3. Car "hesitates" when lifting off the throttle