Q: Car has electrical problems and starting issues

My car has gone 65,000 miles so far. It's been having some electrical problems lately. I tried replacing the alternator twice but it didn't help. When the car starts acting out, the dashboard lights would come on but only at the left side of it. There would be random shutoff of the radio and turn signal sound as well. The service traction control system warning would turn on unexpectedly. After all this, the car occasionally won't start and the key would be stuck in the ignition. I would manage sometimes to restart the car after it's been sitting for a while. This also differs, so I would wait for several minutes on occasion, whereas at other times it won't start for the next day or so. What might be causing this?

A: My guess is that the problem is with the bo...

My guess is that the problem is with the body control module (BCM). The BCM functions as the power mode master (PMM). In this role, it receives an input from the ignition switch when the key is turned to the "On" position. The BCM then sends this information to other modules that needs this information to activate relays and other outputs. The BCM also serves as a gateway to facilitate communication between various modules. The BCM is directly involved in both instrument cluster operation and vehicle starting. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your vehicle's starting issue and determine if my theory is correct.