Q: Car grinding and jerking

asked by on March 02, 2018

My car just started making a grinding noise and jerks when I put it in reverse. Not the brakes

My car has 130000 miles.2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. I’m the only owner

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Check the fluid level (and fluid condition) in the transmission to be sure the fluid level is not too high or too low. The jerking could be transmission or engine related. If the noise is coming from the transmission, and not the engine, such a noise would be suggestive of a major component failure. It is possible that the axles can cause noise like that though and possibly the wheel bearings so those components should be inspected as well. To obtain a speedy resolution of this, the best service to request is a vehicle noise diagnostic. The mechanic who comes to your location to inspect your car will evaluate not just the noise but the accompanying jerking as well. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.