Q: Car does not accelerate when pressing gas pedal, 2002 Suzuki Vitara

asked by on August 26, 2016

When wanting to accelerate and I step on the gas pedal, the car does not pick up speed. I step harder and it tugs and then accelerates. It sometimes feels like the car wants to quit. Sometimes when I am at a red light or when I am driving, the idle will begin to jump up and down as if it is choking. The car begins to jerk forward while I have my foot on the brake pedal. When the idle-jumping starts, there is a fuel-burning smell. What should I do to fix these problems?

Hello there. This is a usual issue for a 2002 Suzuki Vitara. There are a few possible causes for the lack of power and engine surging. The most likely would be the throttle plate, throttle cable, MAF sensor, vacuum leak, or fuel pump. With a vehicle that surges such as yours, it should not be driven for safety reasons until the fault has been resolved. To have this resolved, a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic will be able to come to your home or office to inspect the acceleration problem and let you know how to proceed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr