Q: Car does not accelerate when pressing gas pedal, 2002 Suzuki Vitara

When wanting to accelerate and I step on the gas pedal, the car does not pick up speed. I step harder and it tugs and then accelerates. It sometimes feels like the car wants to quit. Sometimes when I am at a red light or when I am driving, the idle will begin to jump up and down as if it is choking. The car begins to jerk forward while I have my foot on the brake pedal. When the idle-jumping starts, there is a fuel-burning smell. What should I do to fix these problems?

A: Hello there. This is a usual issue for a 20...

Hello there. This is a usual issue for a 2002 Suzuki Vitara. There are a few possible causes for the lack of power and engine surging. The most likely would be the throttle plate, throttle cable, MAF sensor, vacuum leak, or fuel pump. With a vehicle that surges such as yours, it should not be driven for safety reasons until the fault has been resolved. To have this resolved, a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic will be able to come to your home or office to inspect the acceleration problem and let you know how to proceed.