Q: Car cannot be put in drive, high revving

The car has an automatic transmission, which lost drive gear out of the blue when I was on a road trip. I was driving at speeds around 80 mph when it happened. I had to continue driving at 45 mph in third gear. The engine was revving high at 2800 RPM. However, after I turned the car off and took a longer break, I was able to put it in drive again and increase the speed. What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1995 Buick Riviera. If restarting the engine allows you to get the car running properly again, then chances are that the valve body in the transmission is failing. Over time the body can warp and one of the valves can hang up causing this. It can also occur from a bad sensor, so I always scan the computer for codes also just to make sure that each of the sensors are working fine. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the gear shifting trouble and determine what adjustments should be made.

3. Car cannot be put in drive, high revving