Q: Car accelerates when I'm not trying to

Car doesn't slow down when I try to park. It backs out too fast too when my foot is not on the pedal.

Hello. Your car uses a throttle body with a throttle cable to accelerate the engine. Most of the time this is caused by a throttle body that is dirty or failing or a throttle cable that is not releasing. It can also be caused by a vacuum leak but that is not as common. I usually check and clean the throttle body first if it is dirty. If that does not help I check and make sure that the throttle plate is closing like it should. I also make sure that the throttle cable is moving freely. If all of this is fine then it may be a bad throttle position sensor.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.