Q: can't reinsert the key.

I parked the car and removed the key, but the car acts as if the key is still in place - door chime comes on when door opened and automatic locks/alarm won't arm. The steering wheel lock is engaged and gear shift in the park position. I can't reinsert the key as it appears the pins didn't fully release when the key came out.

Hello there, a few different faults would make your 2008 Audi A4 to think the key is still inserted. The most common fault would be the ignition switch, lock cylinder, or a wiring harness fault such as a short. If the key cannot be reinserted to turn the car off, the battery will die. A qualified technician from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your key stuck issues and make any repairs required.

3. can't reinsert the key.