Q: Can't get the belt tensioner tight after replacing my alternator

asked by on August 01, 2017

I replaced my alternator on my Toyota Camry 05 2.4l, and now I can't tighten the belt back from the belt tensioner. I loosened it to get the belt off and now I can't get it tight again. I broke my last ratchet wrench trying to get it tight again. How do I get it tight again as I have finished every step except this one?

If your belt tensioner does not hold tension it will likely need to be replaced. These vehicles have a hydraulic belt tensioner with a mini shock absorber on it. Many times you have to put pressure against the tensioner and it will slowly give in as opposed to the spring loaded tensioner that immediately give tension relief. Consider YourMechanic as serpentine belt tensioners can be replaced at your home or office.