Q: Can one new tire with 3 worn tires cause the car to pull?

asked by on October 13, 2016

I have a new spare tire on the drivers side rear and the other tires are several years old. My car is pulling towards the left. I straightened the wheel when parked and the tires look like they are straight. I'd like to know if the problem will correct if I purchase a new tire and have it put on the passenger side rear.

Any time there is an imbalance in the amount of tread, tire pressure, or an out of balance tire and wheel combination on any of the four tires, this will almost always cause the car to pull to one side or another. This can be caused by low tire pressure, difference in tread depth or tread remaining on the tire, or a tire and wheel that may be out of balance compared to the others on the car.

Often times, many cars may have different size tires on the front vs the rear of the car, however if the two front tires are different sizes or the two back tires are different sizes, this may also cause the car to pull to one side or another. This can present a dangerous driving situation at times as well. I would recommend purchasing the correct size tires to match for all four wheels as this will create a better wear pattern for all of them resulting in longer lasting tire life.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of mobile technicians can diagnose the steering pull you’re experiencing and help you make the appropriate repairs.