Q: Can an electric fuel injected engine like my Toyota Tundra backfire while driving?

asked by on September 29, 2016

Driving to work at about 40 MPH and heard loud bang like a shot gun. Tires were ok, under hood was normal, no dents in top of cab, spare tire ok, battery not exploded.

Hey there, thanks for your question. I’d be happy to provide insight. While this is possible, it is probably not likely to happen with your 2014 Toyota Tundra. An engine backfire is typically caused by a spark plug, or multiple spark plugs, igniting the fuel in their cylinder out of turn, in a part of the combustion process where the exhaust valve is open on that cylinder. The modern electronic fuel injected engines have multiple sensors that monitor and activate most ignition and fuel flow functions on your truck. However, it may be possible that one of these sensors was faulty for a brief moment, causing a backfire. If this occurred, it would have triggered your Check Engine Light. Keep an eye on the truck and if you hear that noise again, contact one of our certified mechanics for assistance diagnosing and repairing the backfiring issue. Hope this helps and best of luck!