Q: Burning smell at higher RPMs on a 2008 Honda

I have a Honda from 2008, gasoline; The thing is, sometimes when I go for higher RPMs, I can feel a burning smell from inside. Any thoughts about that?

The first thing you’d want to check is the catalytic converter. The catalytic converters burn unburned hydrocarbons. You’ve got a vehicle that is getting a little bit older and probably burns a little bit of oil. It’s going to make the catalytic converter run a little hotter and if you are going a lot faster, then it can really make the catalytic converter start to get hot. You can have a mechanic check it. We mechanics have infrared guns and we can check temperatures. We can see if the catalytic converter temperatures are getting too high.

That’s an 2008 car, so it doesn’t have that kind of a sensor to tell the computer. But, let’s say if it’s a 2014, it would actually tell you if the catalytic converter is getting hot. The Check Engine Light would come on and there would be a code for an overheating catalytic converter because there are sensors for that on newer cars but not on a 2008. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s overheating issue and let you know what repairs are needed.