Q: Brakes locked up on an 1980 Shay model A

Went for a drive and after a few miles it felt like the brakes locked up. If I took my foot of the gas the vehicle would stop. Is it a bad wheel cylinder. Drums on the rear and disc brakes on the front

The front and rear of the vehicle should be lifted to see if the front or rear brakes are locking up. The front calipers are the most common cause of the brakes locking up. It is not common for both sides to fail at the same time and that may cause a pull to one side and also cause the slow down. A rear drum brake problem could be caused by a broken spring in the rear brakes.

Once the wheel that is locked up is found, then inspect to see if the caliper slides are seized by looking at the pads wear to be more on the inside pad and less wear on the outside pad. If both pads are worn, then open the bleeder on the caliper to see if there is pressure on the caliper from a bad hose. If caliper is still seized, then it is recommended to replace both front calipers and also replace both rotors and pads. Make sure the front brake hoses are not damaged or replace them as needed. For help having this all scoped out and repaired, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the brake system and follow through with repairs.

3. Brakes locked up on an 1980 Shay model A