Q: Brake lights don't work on 1994 Volvo 960

My brake lights don’t work, and I found out by getting pulled over by the police. My trunk lights work though. The bulbs and the fuses are good. I bought a new bulb failure relay. When I received it and installed it I still had no brake lights. But now I do get warning lights on my dashboard when I step on the brake pedal. There is a clicking noise under the fuses when I step on the brakes. The cigarette lighter and heated seats don’t work either. Do you know what the problem is?

Hello. It sounds like you need a brake switch replacement. These switches are a common failure. I usually test the switch with an ohm meter, which will tell me if it is bad. There are also other parts of the electrical system that can cause this, but those are not as common. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the brake light problem and pinpoint what repair is necessary.

3. Brake lights don't work on 1994 Volvo 960