Q: Blown head gasket or timing chain?

My truck suddenly overheated on my way to work, blowing steam and stopped running. After letting it sit for a while I was able to get it to turn over, but it takes standing on the gas pedal to keep it going. I had a compression test done and have 60 on the high end and 40 on the low, along with blowing air into my radiator (it sounds like it's percolating). Unfortunately, the mechanic shops I've talked to want the guarantee that I'm going to get the work done with them before giving me a definitive answer and have been very unhelpful. I've done some research and found that it could be a blown head gasket or timing chain issue. Is there some way that I can differentiate and pinpoint the issue before I do the repairs?

A: Hello. This is definitely an internal engin...

Hello. This is definitely an internal engine problem. When it gets hot the cylinder head fails and this occurs. It can even be a cracked head or block in some serious cases. Either way, the timing chain should be replaced at the same time that the work is done. The engine will need to be disassembled to be able to verify what repair it will need. This will not be caused by just the timing belt. If you’d like to have a professional check this out, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to the location of your car to inspect your overheating issue.