Q: Battery died, does it have anything to do with alarm going off and not stopping when it was recharged? 2003 GMC Yukon

Car battery light kept going on and off. The car was sitting for four days and the battery died. Checked the battery and the cable was loose so I tightened the cable jumped it and it started. Brought the car to check to see if battery was bad but was informed that it just needed to recharge. Left it running for three hours. Everything was running good however went to the store that night and used the remote starter to start the car then the alarm went off and won't turn off. The alarm won't turn off so it drained the battery again. The following morning I jumped the car and the alarm went off again so I had to disarm the alarm. Does the alarm has anything to do with the battery? Do I need to buy a new battery? Do I need to bring the car to reset the alarm? What do I need to do?

Hi there - yes, a security/alarm system that continues to beep/honk/whatever, is draining your battery, just like a light that is left on. Most cars make the alarm system go off when the battery is replaced - or when the battery is run completely flat, then jumped off. To shut off the alarm when you jump it off or replace the battery, the following generally works: shut off the engine, close all doors, lock the vehicle from the driver door with the key, not the remote. Wait 1 minute. Open the driver door with the key (not the remote function), then start the engine with the key. For most vehicles, this will shut off the alarm system. The "battery" light flickering on and off could be a loose serpentine/accessory belt, a failing alternator, or a failing voltage regulator. Most auto parts stores will check the battery and alternator, although the alternator must be removed to test. The easy test is to see if the alternator is pushing system voltage to about 14.5 volts with the engine at a fast idle. If this is the case, then check for a loose belt, or something that is draining the battery when the car is shut off. This problem can be diagnosed by connecting an ammeter to the positive (red) battery cable, observe the current drain (likely less than 1 amp), then, one at a time, remove each fuse, check to see if the current drain has dropped to near 0, then reinsert the fuse. This process should identify the faulty circuit in most cases. The specific components on that circuit can then be checked for current drain problems. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can come to your location, and perform this procedure for you, and replace/repair the failing component.

3. Battery died, does it have anything to do with alarm going off and not stopping when it was recharged? 2003 GMC Yukon