Q: Ball joints

2007 dodge caliber 2.0 l have to replace ball joints lower front control arms the garage said have replace whole control arm as the ball joint is tack welded in place. Why is it tacked can I remove tack press out and press another one in or are these meant to have whole things replace ball joint control arm and bushings because they did tack weld it in. The ball joint has a cap and its the cap that has a small tack weld

The ball joint can be pressed but replacing the arm is not a bad idea. Considering the age of the vehicle (mileage unknown), it’s a good possibility that the control arm bushings are cracked. Replacing the entire arm - which comes complete with new bushings and ball joint - is not really a bad idea. It’s less labor intensive to remove and replace a complete arm than it is to remove the arm, replace the ball joint and bushings and then reinstall it. Whatever route you decide on, be sure to get the alignment checked afterwards. If you would like to have this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace the ball joints or entire control arm assembly.